Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary, TLS!

So, much like my Valentine's Day post, this one isn't really for anyone else but my dear, sweet TLS. To borrow my disclaimer from the last time, there shall be no eye-rolling here today. If you sense an eye roll coming on, feel free to whip on over to CNN or your local news organization's website for some extremely non-mushy fare.

Fourteen years ago today, TLS and I promised to love, honor and cherish each other til death do us part. And with the exception of his "I do-ing" when he should have "I will-ed" and vice versa, the day went off without a hitch* and things have been pretty wonderful since then as well. Can't complain.

TLS, thanks for being the ol' spousal unit! I can't wait to see what the next fourteen years have in store for us.

* Very funny wedding related story that I love to tell. We got married in my hometown, which was not the town that we were living in at the time (or come to think of it the town in which we've ever lived together). We knew that based on the lateness of our ceremony and reception that we'd have to spend the night in a local hotel before heading out of town the next morning. About a month before the big day, I picked out the hotel nearest the airport, a Radisson (for no apparent reason, since we were driving rather than flying back home), gave TLS the phone number, and watched him make the reservation.

Flash forward to the day of the wedding. TLS called me that morning and said that he wanted to go ahead and check in with our stuff, so he was going to call over and confirm that he could do that in the next couple of hours. We also made plans for me to leave my suitcase in the front foyer of my mom's house with the door unlocked so we wouldn't jinx things by seeing each other before the wedding. I offered to get him the number for the hotel, but he said he had it under control. He called back about 10 minutes later and he was FURIOUS! Fury is not an emotion that I get to see often on my husband. He is generally a calm and patient man. Mostly I'm the one losing my mind and he's the one placidly standing by to make sure I don't zing off into the stratosphere. So this little develoment was somewhat unsettling. I asked what he was so upset about and he said something along these lines, "I. cannot. believe. they. LOST. OUR. RESERVATION!!!!!" There was also much talk about how someone, somewhere had his credit card number and what were they going to do about it. I made sympathetic noises and he said that they had assured him that they had a room for us and that he could check in immediately.

Flash ahead to the post-ceremony photography session. We planted ourselved at the front of the altar and everyone else came and went according to which shot was being taken at the time. During one of the down moments when we were waiting for the next set of relatives to "come on down", I said to TLS , "I can't believe the Radisson lost our reservation." He turned to me with an odd expression and said, "The Radisson, we're staying at The Harvey!"

No comments: