Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Readin', Readin', Readin'

I finished re-reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan last weekend. It's a cyber-punk noir novel set in a distant future where a human's consciousness is stored in a carbon "stack" at the base of his or her neck that can be downloaded into different bodies. Liked it (as you might have surmised from the re-reading portion of the opening sentence). Sue me. I like sci-fi, as you might have guessed from the nerd quiz I did a few months back. I had some other books that I haven't read yet, but couldn't seem to muster much enthusiasm for them on Saturday and it had been long enough since I'd read this the first time that it was like it was new again.

I also started I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley. It's a book of essays about Sloane's life in her mid-twenties told with (as Publisher's Weekly says) "sardonic wit". If you like David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell, you'll like this one. Liking it so far.

I just got another shipment from Amazon today. (Don't worry, TLS, I used an Amazon gift certificate.) I got The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. I also have When A Crocodile Eats The Sun by Peter Godwin in the queue ready to go along with one that a co-worker loaned me today, Philistines at the Hedgerow by Steven Gaines. I'm going to have a plethora of options to take with me on my trip to Illinois at the end of the week.

No comments: