Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day, TLS. This post's for you.

As mentioned in the title, this post is an open letter to my dear, sweet husband. Feel free to read along, although groaning and/or eye-rolling will neither be allowed nor tolerated. If you don't like my sappy, emotional sentiments, go and surf some CNN. (This means you, too, TLS! - ha!)

Happy Valentine's Day, TLS. Who knew all those many years ago that a shared sense of the absurd and a love for all things sci-fi would be the foundation of a beautiful long-term relationship? (Almost seventeen years and counting.) While your movie star good looks might have been what initially attracted me, your intelligence, wit, kindness and depth of spirit, and generosity are what made me stay. Oh, and the good looks haven't been a hindrance there, either. (rawr!)

Thank you for who you are and the things you do for me. I can't imagine that scooping kitty litter was ever in your ultimate Bucket List, but you do it just the same. You keep the cars running and the yard mowed. You indulge my decorating whims and take out the trash. You make me laugh on a daily basis. You are a friend and a soul-mate--someone who has shared good times and bad.

When we were standing at the altar, repeating the vows "in sickness and in health...", the sickness seemed to be so far away as to be impossible, but somehow it found us. Often tough times push couples apart, be somehow we managed to come closer. I have a feeling that our use of humor and contant laughter has had something to do with it. And even if my theory is complete and utter malarky, at least we've had fun laughing at our own foibles. (And the strange, strange ways of the world.)

I simply cannot imagine my life without you. Wherever I would have ended up and whoever I turned out to be, wouldn't have been nearly as good or as much fun.

I love you, husband. Here's to many more years together.

No comments: