Friday, February 22, 2008

Not Just For Toddlers Anymore

It arrived this week, right on schedule: the dreaded yearly ear infection. (Ear infections--they aren't just for toddlers anymore.) I woke up on Tuesday feeling like my left ear was going to explode. I dragged myself to work because I was responsible for the logistics of a training session on Thursday and there was still work much to be done. (Yikes!)

On Tuesday afternoon, after a quick trip to the doctor, ("Yup, that's infected. Did you know you were in here last year at the same time about the same ear?"), the boss lady telling me to go home and go to bed ("You look awful!"), the intermidable wait at the pharmacy for my Z-Pak antibiotics (Can someone explain why it takes 45 minutes to fill a prescription?), a two hour nap (under the electric blanket), an evening on the couch like a big ol' potato (or maybe a pear--or a stalk of asparagus), and going back to bed about 8:00 p.m., I was able to face going to work on Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon entailed having the facilitators coming in for the next day's training, which really meant getting a call from reception every 15 minutes to go fetch another one, getting them to the appointed conference room, making sure everyone was at least temporarily happy, and then back to the desk to start the process all over again.

Thursday started bright and early here at the office at 7 a.m. You might think that actually getting the session underway and sitting in on it as a participant would end the work, but you'd be wrong, wrong, wrong. ("Can we get someone to turn on the microphone?" and Inertia Girl goes off to find the facilities guy. "We're cold," and I.G. goes to find maintenance to change the temperature. "When is lunch arriving?" Well, you get the picture.) My day didn't end until the last of the ones flying out were in a cab on the way to the airport about 5:30 p.m. TLS called about 5 and asked if I was done with everything. When I said that I still had to get one to a cab, he asked if I was going to carry them down on my back. A good question, TLS, a good question indeed.

I don't want to give anyone the idea that I don't like my job or that I minded doing the things that are included in it, but adding in sickness to the equation almost sent me over the edge. (Oh, but everything went off without a hitch, so all the anal-retentive planning does come in handy sometimes.)

I am glad to be back posting again. Hopefully, you all are too!

No comments: