Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And the Universe, It Laughs and Laughs

I've filled several different administrative functions at my current employer over the last eight and a half years I've worked here. A few years back they posted a position for an administrative supervisor and I applied for it. There was enormous response from the rank and file because, in general, the opportunities for those types of upward mobility are few and far between around here. That observation isn't a knock, just a statement of fact about the ways of the firm. What I heard back from recruiting at the time was that they couldn't interview everyone and that they were using prior supervisory experience as the "weeding" factor. I'm the first person to admit that despite having a couple of prior job titles that seemed to imply said experience, I didn't have any; so that was that, as they say.

Flash forward to late last week when my current administrative supervisor called me into her office. (I immediately had the thought that I was going to get chewed out for something, despite the fact that I've never been remotely chewed out at any job before. Ever.) She wanted to tell me that an administrative supervisor position had been posted and that she and the other supervisor had racked their brains to come up with names of people they felt would both be interested and capable of the job. And (drumroll please) the only person they came up with was...me. Which I found hilarious, because I haven't magically gotten any supervisory experience in my spare time, at night, before I go to bed.

So, now that I've put myself on the road to a career in Library Science (and don't get me wrong, I'm 100% convinced it is the true and right one for me), I get offered a job I tried hard to get years ago and couldn't even win an interview for. Oh, Universe, what a jokester you are!

P.S. I thanked them for thinking of me, but respectfully declined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't nice to finally know ourselves enough to know when we get it right? Congrats on pursuing that Library position. I believe you will do well and truly enjoy what you are doing.