Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Seriously Inertia Girl, You Are One Weird Cookie.

I must preface this post with the disclaimer that I do not have any children so that anything I say herein may be complete and utter crap or alternately something that everyone with children will read and then exclaim something along the lines of, "Well...duh!" (And now I immediately have to write what you are all thinking, which is "Yes, Inertia Girl. We get it already. You.Do.Not.Have.Children. Get over yourself!") Isn't it nice to know that I apparently don't even need people to read my blog? I can have the whole experience all by myself.

When is it that children physically morph from being cute and cuddly and so adorable that you literally want to just eat them up into little adults? Seriously, is there an actual moment when this change happens? And really, there's nothing wrong with having people who look like little adults running around. It's true; we're all changing on a daily basis. We all go from newborn to infant to child to adult to the grave. (Wow! That certainly got morbid all of a sudden, didn't it?)

I guess it is a weird question to ask, but having four nephews and a niece, ranging in age from almost 15 (fifteen!) to 7, I've seen the transformation take place but never been able to put my finger on the specifics of it. Or place exactly what makes them stop looking like a child and more like an adult. (I've almost convinced myself that it has to do with the arms and legs--long and skinny and no longer pudgy.)

Unfortunately for those of you who are looking for some sense of cohesion or a point to the post, I'm afraid that I really don't have one. I just saw a picture today of someone's daughter that I hadn't seen in a while and somewhere in between this photo and the last, she went from child to little adult. It came as such a shock that I was moved to write a blog post to ponder the question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe it would be around the time they turn 2 and get all independent on you with words and phrases like "no" and "mine" and when they have to do everything on their own. Definitely makes them lose that "cuteness"!!

Amy O (mom of almost 3)