Thursday, November 15, 2007

What I'm Reading - November 15th Edition

In case anyone cares, here is what I'm currently reading.

Animals in Translation
Temple Grandin

Written by an autistic woman with a Ph.D. in animal behavior, this book chronicles her theory that the perceptions and thinking of autistic people has more in common with how animals perceive and think than with the way "normal" people do. While it can be a little pedantic at times, it has been a fascinating read. Of course, I am a complete science geek, so I don't know if I'm the best person to judge for a general audience. (I've read everything except the supplemental dog-training section in the back.)

The Inheritance of Loss
Kiran Desai

This is a story set in India (near the border of Tibet and Nepal) and New York City, involving a retired judge, his granddaughter, the granddaughter's tutor, the cook and the cook's son. I'm only about 75 pages in and I have to say so far this hasn't really caught my attention. While I can appreciate the beauty of the language, the story just hasn't grabbed me. If I start another book while reading one, that's when I know the current one just isn't cutting it. Which brings me to the next book I'm reading and loving...

The True Meaning of Smekday
Adam Rex

Guilty admission: This book is written for children ages 9-12. I have to say, however, that it is one of the better stories I've read this year. The year is 2013 and it has been two years since an alien race, the Boov, invaded earth and one year since they left. The protaganist, Gratuity (aka Tip), is writing an essay entitled The True Meaning of Smekday for a contest. You'll come to learn how a mole on the back of her mother's neck, a cat named Pig, a Boov named J. Lo and an obvious allusion to Disney World all relate to one another. The descriptions are spot-on and had me laughing out loud more than once. I'm about half-way done with this one and I don't want it to end.

No comments: