Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Things We Think But Often Do Not Say

I actually started this post back in 2008.  I guess I just had to let the idea marinate for a few years.

_______________________________________________________________________


I read an article yesterday about a US Army Major (Andrew Olmstead) who was an avid blogger and was, unfortunately, killed in Iraq earlier this month. He had written a post to be published in the event of his death. His last post manages to be erudite, funny and touching. I wish I had been reading his stuff sooner (and under better circumstances) and it makes me think that we could have been friends if we'd happened to live/work/be in the same place. Anyone that quotes Team America--World Police, The Princess Bride, and Plato is someone I can hang with. Here's the link if you're interested in reading it.
My interest here is not to get into a political or polemic discussion about the war in Iraq. Everyone has his or her opinion, to which he or she is more than entitled. But it seems to me that the majority of the time, despite discussion, people's minds or opinions aren't changed and everyone just ends up being irritated.

What struck me most about the idea of a "Last Post" is that the things that are most likely to be included are things that really should be said while you are still alive. I have no doubt Major Olmstead expressed his sentiments to his wife and family prior to his death and that he only used his blog as a public forum for them, but it inspired me to be more mindful of telling the people around me how greatful I am to have them in my life. And since I have a (potential) world audience, I'd like to do some expressing of my own.

I have said before that TLS is one of the best things to happen to me and I mean that with all of my heart.  He is smart, funny, kind, and generous to a fault. He'll happily give you the shirt off his back, help you build a fence, and give you a killer gift for a special occasion. He's a friend to animals, has an amazingly quick wit, keeps our household in good running order, and does the difficult but necessary deeds that seem to be beyond my ability to bear. He makes me laugh--daily. And he ain't hard on the eyes, either. We've laughed and cried our way through almost 20 years together and I cannot wait to see what the next 20+ has to offer.

No comments: