Wednesday, July 23, 2008

More Pondering of the Absurd

There are certain times that I realize once again how differently my brain works from normal other people's. The reason that I bring this up now is that I somehow managed to make a mental connection between hurricanes and infertility. I know. I know. Only a weird and twisted mind could bring such two disparate topics together. Let me 'splain, if I can:

I was listening to the news this morning about Hurricane Dolly coming ashore near Brownsville, Texas. Being a category 1 (or possibly a low category 2, depending on how much it managed to strengthen before hitting the coast), it wasn't supposed to do too much damage. It is; however, supposed to bring between 15 to 20 inches of rain to the coastal area. Now I'm sure we can all agree that no place needs 15 to 20 inches in a matter of hours, what with the flooding and all it will bring, so it occurred to me (not for the first time) that it's too bad that we can't find a way to portion all that rain out to places that really need it. So far, so normal in the thinking category, but bear with me for the stretching of the brain cells.

Later, I was reading one of the blogs from my blog roll, Anne Nahm, who has just found out that she's pregant with her second child. Now ol' Anne obviously doesn't suffer from infertility, since all it took was a single interlude with her husband to put her in this delicate condition. And while all signs point to this being a fully desired pregnancy since she's been talking about trying for a some time now, my mind went to the number of times that I (ahem) urinated on one of those dastardly sticks. There were times earlier in my life that I was chanting "no second line, no second line" but mostly I used all my brainpower to will the second line to appear. I would hold the thing up to the window and move the angle trying to divine the slightest hint of a second line and I never managed to get that view. I know there are people out there who don't want the line and get it and those that desperately want it and never see it appear. As with my equity-of-the-rain wish, I want everyone to get the pregnancy test result they want.

See? I told you. Completely weird logic.

No comments: