Friday, April 11, 2008

We Now Interrupt This Blog for Sports

Conversation on the ride home last night while listening to the Texas Rangers double-header on the radio:

TLS: They better hope they win both of these games or they are going to be in a situation they won't get out of -- in week two of the season.
Me: And how is this different than any other Rangers season?
TLS: Boo-bird!* I'm going to put you out at the boo-bird bus stop over there.
Me: What?! No one wants them to win more than me!
TLS: Oh yeah. I haven't seen you blog about them yet. ... I guess that's because it's not a sports blog. (putting up air quotes)

So here it is TLS, my Texas Rangers post.

MEMO
To: The Deity or higher power who governs baseball
From: Inertia Girl

re: The Texas Rangers

It's probably too much to ask, but could you please give the Rangers a decent season this year? I know that we can never field a decent pitching staff and that we spend too much money for marquis players at positions that don't add to the bottom line. But we try, Lord, oh how we try. You saw fit to give the Red Sox a world championship, so I know that you are benevolent. (Although I'm not sure what you still have against the Cubs, but that's a request for another day, I suppose.) While I'd love to see the boys win the whole shebang this year, I'm not greedy. I'd just like to see them get to the second round of the playoffs (while beating the pants off the dreaded Yankees if you could throw that in) would be great.


* Boo-bird - (noun) A fan who denigrates his or her own team's chances for the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a Texas Ranger's fan but I sure loved the diatribe about them, your conversation with the hubby and just how you show great humor in your blogs.

I think I am a Twins Fan but in my bones a Cubs fan from my childhood. I just wish that all sports figures didn't feel as though they needed to earn so much money. Isn't it possible to live on less than a Mil?

Jinxfrom Elgin