Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I'm In! *

Well, it's official--or at least mostly official. I received my provisional acceptance to the school of library science for the masters degree program yesterday. (The provisional part is because one of the people giving me a recommendation, my boss-natch!, still hasn't sent it in. I sent her a message today with a gentle reminder so hopefully she'll have it in the mail before the end of the week. But unless she writes the world's worst recommendation letter, I'm in.) I will start in August, which I realize will be here before we all know it.

The big reveal:
TLS and I carpooled yesterday and got the mail before we pulled into the driveway. The first envelope on top of the pile caught my eye since it was from someone whose name I didn't recognize. After I determined what that was (about a wedding shower for a cousin of mine), I started flipping through the rest of the stack. The second and third envelopes were from the university and I started to rip into the first.

TLS: What? You're opening it now? In the driveway?
Me: (Ripping open the flap) Yeah.
TLS: Oh kaay.
Me: There are two envelopes. Unless they've turned me down twice, I think it is probably good news.
Pause
Me: (Reading) I'm in.
TLS: Well, that was a big surprise.

I realize that no one else but me had even a shred of doubt, but I did have that little voice that kept telling me that I might get the ol' "neg" letter. So much for the naysayer in the back of my mind.

* I felt the need to asterisk, since it isn't 100% confirmed without the final recommendation. (A stickler, I am. Yes, I know.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I certainly never had any doubts. You will knock their socks off!!

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I'm so excited that we will be "professional colleagues" Bon